Monday, October 18, 2010

Trying too hard...

Most of us either try too hard or we quit trying. 
In both cases, we miss God.
Linda Dillow, Calm my Anxious Heart

I'm reading the book The Relief of Imperfection, again!  I tend to fall into that "try too hard" category and need to be reminded again and again that without Christ, I can do nothing of eternal value.  With Him, I can do whatever He calls me to do.  I love that!  It's all dependent on Him and the great news - the woohoo news - is that He never fails! 
Now does that mean that life and circumstances always turn out like I think they should - of course not.  It does mean that His purposes are carried out and I'll take His purposes over my purposes any moment of the day - any day of the week!

I love the way The Message puts Matthew 11:28-30  "Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life.  I'll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you'll learn how to live freely and lightly." 

I'm praying this week that God will continue to teach me the unforced rhythms of grace.  It's not trying too hard - it's not giving up.  It's finding God in each step and letting His mercy and love and peace and passion flow freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment