Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Radical

I started a new book last week - Radical by David Platt.  This book is not a lite summer read - it's one of those books that you can't read without being challenged to change.  I'm not finished with it yet and quite honestly, I need time to process all that God is revealing and challenging me with.  But I want to share with you a little snippet from the opening of the book - We will together explore the biblical gospel alongside our cultural assumptions with an aim toward embracing Jesus for who He really is, not for who we have created Him to be.  We will look at the core truth of a God-centered gospel and see how we have manipulated it into a human-centered message.  We will see a purpose for our lives that transcends the country and culture we live in and we will see our desperate need for His presence to fulfill His purpose in us. 
Like I said, no "lite stuff" here, but so far, incredible!  Ultimately, I want to serve, honor, bring glory and praise to the God of the Bible - not the nice little "American-Christian God" we try to mold Him into.  We live in a society where it's "all about the packaging" and so we try to package Christ in a neat box with a big bow on top - a package that we like and are comfortable with.  But the God that I surrender my life to does not fit in a box, He isn't about making people feel comfortable - in fact, while Jesus was here on earth He made most people very uncomfortable!  Like I said, I'm only about 1/2 way through the book, but it is definitely causing lots of thought and discussion - I love that!  If you've read the book or read it in the near future, I'd love to hear your thoughts too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment